[Blood/Pistols or Shotgun] Self-sustained, fully corrupted

Discussion in 'Damage Dealer' started by Szalord, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Szalord

Szalord Agent

Greetings!

Today, i'd like to share my ranged DPS build i've been using for some time now. Keep in mind that there are still things to theorycraft, so this will be a work in progress.

Actives (with pistols)
    Torment (blood basic)
    Desecrate (blood CD)
    Maleficium (blood power)
    Eldritch Scourge (blood elite)
    Unload / Dual Shot (pistols power)
    Kill Blind (pistols CD) / Reap (blood CD)

Actives (with shotgun)

Torment (blood basic)
    Reap (blood CD)
    Maleficium (blood power)
    Eldritch Scourge (blood elite)
    Raging Shot (shotgun power)
    Shell Salvage (shotgun CD)

Passives (with pistols)
    Flay (for Maleficium)
    Defilement (for Desecrate)
    Desolate (for Eldritch Scourge)
    Fixed Game (to make every pistol attack matched)
    Focused Fire (for Kill Blind) / Contaminate (for Reap)

Passives (with shotgun)

Flay (for Maleficium)
    Contaminate (for Reap)
    Desolate (for Eldritch Scourge)
    Salvage Expert (the core of the dot stacking strategy, see Claire-V's insights)
    Combat Reload (to profit the most from high ammo count for Shell Salvage)

Weapons
    For the weapons, you have multiple choices:
    - Eldritch Tome as the top DPS option
    - Heavy Caliber Pistols as the top DPS option for pistols as secondary (gives 1 chance out of 4 to get a red in the left chamber)
    - SPES-C221, best shotgun option

Weapon affixes
    Havoc is the top DPS option, destruction isn't too far behind.

Using Alacrity on secondary weapon (shotgun) is an option, as having a DPS weapon affix on a secondary will hardly contribute to the overall DPS (less than 0.5%), whereas having Alacrity gives the option to boost movement speed by taking out the secondary on some occasions when needed.

Efficiency got reworked and can no longer proc multiple times in a single cast of Maleficium, making the affix basically worthless.

Gadgets
    - Vali Metabolic Accelerator isn't desirable enough as blood gets pretty low value out of energy.
    - Effigy O35 Turret is currently most likely the best in slot pure DPS gadget, though it's logged in ACT as a separate entity.
    - Mnemonic Guardian - Werewolf Alpha could come close to the Turret. The problem is that its proc, as all procs, has a 1s cooldown, and blood mixes channeled abilities, instant (Reap) or casted (Desecrate or Eldritch Scourge), so in practise, chaining abilities like follows : Eldritch Scourge -> Maleficium will grant 3 procs in 4 seconds.
    - Attack Drone Model LK-2 is concurrent to the best damage dealing gadgets. The drawback is the lack of range - the max range of the gadget seems to be half of pistols/shotgun's max range. The advantage is that it's a fire&forget gadget. Its DPS is on par with Turret's.

Glyphs
    See the theorycrafting thread for more information. For endgame gear, the popular option is crit/power/hit 5/2/1, but for leveling - early/mid-game gear - a 4/2/2 or 5/1/2 fits better, until you fuse 2 mythic level 20 hit glyphs into a single one.

Signets
    From what has been said previously, the notable signets are as follows:
    - Luck: Signet of Thirst / Signet of Cruel Delight (with Eldritch Tome)
    - Luck: Signet of Laceration/Sadism (with any other blood tome)
    - Head: Signet of Bloodletting (Elite CD reduction) (Rituals is a popular choice, though it being additive with Eldritch Tome's bonus and ES's passive makes it a lot less potent than other elites from other weapons).
    - Finger: Signet of Incantations
    - Neck: Signet of Blood Rites
    - Waist: Signet of Time and Space Alteration (with Vali Metabolic Accelerator)
    - Waist: Signet of Matter Creation (with any other damage gadget)
    - Occult: personal preference

Rotations
    There's no fixed rotation. Instead, there are rules / priorities to respect:
    - Never use Pistols' skills without a match. You'll be getting a match (thanks to Fixed Game) every 4s after the last spin of chambers. You can anticipate a Double Blue or Double Red if one appears in your left chamber, and fire off your pistols' skills as soon as the match pops. With a good management, you are able to squeeze Kill Blind and 2 Unloads into a Double Red, for instance (or spam 3-4 Dual Shots).
    - If you use Dual Shot, only use it to spin a Double White and to avoid overcap on energy. The goal here is to wait a blue or a red in your left chamber. You'll have to have enough energy available when 4s later, you get a Double Blue or Double Red, so you can dump all your energy with Dual Shots during that match.
    - (Pistols) Use Eldritch Scourge on CD, do not delay it by long casts like Maleficium or Unload.
    - Do NOT use Desecrate if you have more than 70 corruption. Basically, the passive of Desecrate will go to waste if you use desecrate while you just started decaying on corruption and you aren't at exactly 100 anymore (you'll get the 20% bonus to corruption generated, instead of the 16.5% damage bonus). I advise you to download the Weapon UI mod, by Claire-V, you can find a link in the Mods section - the mod will display the exact numbers for your corruption.
    - Try to avoid lining up Eldritch Scourge and Desecrate dots, as this will make the Flay passive less powerful. Spreading their usage with an interval of 6s is the best method.
    - (Pistols) If you're about to get Double Blue or Double Red, and Kill Blind is available to be used, delay it until you get the match, then use it to extend the match. Otherwise, Kill Blind will screw up your incoming match by a Double White, and this feels bad.
    - If you're using the Eldritch Tome, you can then use Reap with its passive (instead of Kill Blind). It will represent 10-13% of your total DPS (less in practice due to the Corruption drop).
    - (Shotgun) Try to fire a Raging Shot every 4-5s to maintain Dragon's Breath dot stacks (see Claire-V's dot stacking strategy).
    - (Shotgun) Blood cannot dump energy as fast as hammer for instance. That means that the first Shell Salvage would make your blood energy probably overcap, don't be ashamed about that, it's not really avoidable.

Opening sequence (for Dual Shot):
    Eldritch Scourge - Kill Blind - Dual Shot - Desecrate - Maleficium (x2) - Dual Shot

Opening sequence (for Dual Shot, with Eldritch Tome):
    Eldritch Scourge - Dual Shot - Reap - Maleficium - Desecrate - Dual Shot - Maleficium (x2)

Opening sequence (for Unload):
    Eldritch Scourge - Unload - Desecrate - Kill Blind - Maleficium (x2)

Opening sequence (for Raging Shot):
    Raging Shot - Eldritch Scourge - Raging Shot - Reap - Raging Shot - Maleficium - (Metabolic + Raging Shot) or (Shell Salvage - Maleficium - Raging Shot)

For Shotgun, the middle-rotation dot refreshing sequences are as follows:
    • Eldritch Scourge - Maleficium - Raging Shot
    • Reap - Maleficium - Raging Shot
    • Maleficium x2 - Raging Shot (loss of 1 stack with this sequence, not that big of a deal when you're at max as you'll get the stack back)
    Misc Insights and conclusion
    Pistols or Shotgun? Shotgun parses around 10% higher, so it is overall the best possible option.

This build has ramp-up time of 20-30s to get to full corruption, so until then, you're not at full potential. If you look for a burst-oriented build, this build has almost no burst at all, but lots of constant damage. On roughly 2 min fights, and above, this build is meant to match the outputs of the strongest builds out there, such as Hammer or Fist builds. Any significant downtime will be very detrimental for this build, because corruption decays, whereas melee builds are a lot better for such situations. The strong side of this build is that it isn't susceptible to aggro stealing at all - with its ramp-up time and with the lack of burst, there's no way it would overaggro a tank at the beginning of a fight, so you can use a full DPS gadget instead of a detaunt. Well, this, and of course the fact is that its is a ranged build, with a big reach (blood hits from further than pistols, for instance), and this build does not spam ground effects nor clutter anything visually.

Final note: get the Advanced Weapon UI mod, from Claire-V, this is mandatory for a proper management of blood's gimmick. Link here: Advanced Weapon UI

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Thandius, Saguaroten and Libyle like this.
  2. Reform

Reform New Bee

IGN:
    Reform
    why not Maleficium before kill blind in opening swquence for unload, wouldnt you want to ramp up the dmg gain from corruption as quick as possible?

Also, what would you recommend for use while I work on getting anima infused weapons?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  3. LexXxich

LexXxich Conspirator

Those weapons are probably the only thing that enables such a build. Even Restoration healing gets cut by Corruption.

4. Darkstride

Darkstride New Bee

IGN:
    Darkstride
    Have you tested this against the Eldritch Tome for pure DPS?

I'm curious how 100% full Corruption uptime with standard DoTs compares to high, but fluctuating, Corruption and 75% stronger DoTs.

Applying the added 75% damage to Eldritch Scourge, Desecrate and Reap is a lot of damage output. It isn't self-sufficient but I haven't had any issues with surviving with consistent Corruption as long as the healer isn't afk.

If I had an Anima-touched book I would compare them myself, but I do not :-(

5. Szalord

Szalord Agent

I recommend using Kill Blind first to kick in the cooldown and to spend 2 pistol energy real fast. Maleficium will make you overcap on pistols' energy and sit on cooldown for extra 2.5s, which will hurt your dps more then loosing 1s of GCD with Kill Blind. But i didn't do hard maths on that, feel free to try! I don't think you'll find that much of a difference anyway.

While you work on anima-touched, i couldn't recommend any other special weapons besides Eldritch Tome, see my comments below.

Well, i'm building up an Eldritch Tome of Efficiency MK III right now, almost got it to purple (will be purple tomorrow). In theory, this book will grant you somewhere around 5-10% of a DPS increase compared to Anima-touched variant, from my napkin maths. Overall, this might be the best book for this type of build, though i cannot tell anything before i've actually played with it of course.

You are talking about Reap, i'd advise to not use any skills gimping up your corruption. I think that, even with Eldritch Tome, you should be able to survive for some 1-2min periods without healing and self-sustain from anima-touched book (only with pistols) while at 100 Corruption, and pretty much all the fights will grant you some form of downtime to get under 90 corruption. You can even get there youself by meeting a Double Blue or Red will almost full pistols' energy, then you extend the duration with Kill Blind and start spamming Dual Shot or Unload. During that time, you'll deplete some Corruption (3s after not attacking with blood, you start depleting Corruption). As soon as you're under 90, your healing penalty gets from 95% to only 50%, and at this point, you'll get back to full life with hots from fist healer or other stuff.

As a summary about these insights, i'd say that having double Anima-touched is the safest possible variant. Then if you want to push the limits of the build, getting an Eldritch Tome of Efficiency MK III (along with the CD reduction signet on the head) is what should (again, until i try it out, won't talk too much about that) grant you more DPS, but it'll have a cost, and you'll have to know what you'll be doing. Having Anima-touched pistols will still help out for a bit of a self-sustain, for sure.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  6. Darkstride

Darkstride New Bee

IGN:
    Darkstride
    My thought with Reap is that with its passive buff and the 75% increase from Eldritch may be enough to offset or exceed the loss from temporarily dipping Corruption. The Tome also increases Corruption gain from Specials by a small amount which can help with recovery even faster. It also comes with a cleanse and a heal.

7. Szalord

Szalord Agent

I'll definitely try this out, this looks not too bad, but loosing 50 Corruption is still like... A LOT. If you ever knew the satisfaction of being always at 100 Corruption with double anima-touched like i do, you'll know how it feels. Powerful :D. Basically, i'll have to know if giving away Kill Blind with its passive (which is 5% of my overall DPS) is worth less then having Reap with passive AND loosing 50 Corruption. I think the best way would be to align it maybe with Eldritch Scourge, but with CD reduction, that might not always be possible. Eldritch Scourge will bump back 19 Corruption, so this might be good (oh, and you'll get 4 more from Reap, that'll be 23 back, not too bad).

PS: Reap with passive + Eldritch Tome will deal 572- 630 damage per second for 7s. This starts to be insane, it'll be tested! And it enables Flay, improving Maleficium. Will have to see how i'd rotate all the dots.

8. Reform

Reform New Bee

IGN:
    Reform
    But giving up Kill Blind means you lose out on an interrupt. Im not at endgame yet but I assume interrupts are pretty useful in any group content. and I dont see any other ability you could swap it out for =( I wish we didnt need to keep the basic ability on with us. Also, I run the heal basic ability b/c often times there is no dedicated healer and I need the quick life saving heal. How much does torment affect your overall dps?

9. Szalord

Szalord Agent

Torment is 3% of my DPS for the parse above, it could get higher with the signet which increases the damage of the basic. About interrupts, it'll mainly only depend on the comp of your group. Keep in mind that Kill Blind is an exposed, debilitate AND a stun, so it is often very useful indeed. If all those needs are covered (usually, you don't really need the stun as the tank can just stun with a gadget), then you're good to replace it.

10. Darkstride

Darkstride New Bee

IGN:
    Darkstride
    DPS shouldn't need Interrupts in group content. It's best to let the tank control what needs to be interrupted and what can be avoided without it.

11. Wilmots

Wilmots New Bee

Nice build, if you want to spend at least 80 Dollars for the anima touched items, which cost about min 1.000000 MOF, which you surely cannot have farmed now.

12. NootNoot

NootNoot New Bee

IGN:
    NootNoot
    Pay to win power! Pew pew pew! I'm curious to how it parses say over 5 minutes.

13. Onevia

Onevia Conspirator

Yeah, I heard a lot of "dps need to bring impairs to do elite1" early on but... only if you're undergearing stuff to the point that the tank needs to be fully survival actives (survival elite, survival cooldowns, survival gadget). With a normal 400-500 heal per second healer and a tank with 7-8k hp the tank has enough slots to handle every interrupt (and use impair+defensive stuff like Kneecapper instead of going fully immortal).

There are some specific fights where interrupts can substitute for dps - notably HR5. But if you're running a build like this (long ranged, high dps) I would think you can handle it based on your dps. I ran it with schnick-schnak and another ~3k dps today and no impairs were needed.

tobascodagama likes this.
  14. Darkstride

Darkstride New Bee

IGN:
    Darkstride
    There are also plenty of things that can just be avoided with a dodge or by breaking line of sight. Not everything even needs to be impaired. Personally if I were tanking I would prefer not to have each DPS choosing when too throw out unnecessary stuns, I would rather control the boss behavior myself. Also, in some cases the DPS having that stun slotted rather than another ability would be a DPS loss.

15. Szalord

Szalord Agent

The blood tomes so far cost a lot less than that. Pistols is the expensive bit, though i got mines at 445k. The blood costed me 250k only.

16. Reform

Reform New Bee

IGN:
    Reform
    glyphs?

17. Szalord

Szalord Agent

18. Szalord

Szalord Agent

Updated the OP with new opening sequences. Basically, i added a Maleficium cast at the beginning since Eldritch Scourge does not generate any corruption when at 0 (or only generates 4 instead of 19 when with Eldritch Tome, which seems weird, but basically, the skill needs to be at non neutral Corruption or Martyrdom value to know which one to raise).

Edit: actually, it might be better to throw a Torment instead of Maleficium at the beginning, i'll have to think more extensively about this.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  19. Szalord

Szalord Agent

All right, i tested Eldritch Tome instead of the Anima-touched book, and it gives me roughly 10% more DPS, as expected. When i add Reap, it translates to overall 10% of my total DPS, but in practice, it's a bit less since it drops Corruption. The interesting point is that signets of Thirst and Cruel Delight bypass the corruption as well, so it's possible to fully self-sustain with one of those (it'll replace the signet in the luck talisman - Laceration or Sadism). I had a signet of Sadism lvl 20 purple, and it was 0% DPS according to ACT (it rounds up numbers), so it was less than 1%. Laceration for blood is not as good because of Maleficium's crit chance penalty. So i think that ditching a pure DPS luck signet in favour of Thirst or Cruel Delight, along with Eldritch Tome, will give the best results on the parses.

Another important point: with what i said above, if one cannot afford Anima-touched pistols, there are two alternative options, which might even be potentially better for pistols as secondary: Soviet CB-3 Annihilators, or Heavy Caliber Pistols. The Soviet pistols are the best candidates for an endgame gear with high crit chance, but are very rare, and can potentially cost a lot, but probably still less than Anima-touched. The cheapest version - Heavy Caliber Pistols - are good, and give you overall more reds, notably with Fixed Game, because of the fact that Red pops up more often in each chamber independently from what it looked like (tested the last time in beta), that means that you'll have more chances to get Red in left chamber - then, the right chamber will get matched with Fixed Game (that'll go from 1/6 chance to 1/4).

I'll update the OP with these new bits.

Reform likes this.
  20. Szalord

Szalord Agent

Updated the OP:
    - added a glyph section, as the question has been asked
    - added a signet section
    - added alternative weapons considerations (Eldritch Tome, pistols)
    - modified the Opening sequences, with Eldritch Tome in mind, and added Torment as the first hit, to generate initial Corruption

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Reform likes this.